Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

my 5 year old son has been referred for extra help at school

Customer Question

my 5 year old son has been referred for extra help at school because he can not seem to follow simple commands and carry them out.he will do things he is interested in though.i find even simple things like getting dressed seems to end in alot of repeating the same command. i have spent ages at home sitting down with him and at first i blamed it on being lazy but now i feel that there is something more to it?? can you help with any ideas??
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 6 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Has he started going to school , if yes , how is his behaviour with other children and is he slow in learning new things as compared to other children ?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
hes been going to school for about 10 weeks now. and hes learning letters and numbers.he finds it hard to listen to the teaching the class to get on with a piece of work. he seems to drift off the subject when answering and has problems carrying out simple things like doing up his shoes and getting dressed and tidying himself up in the loo. he plays well with others and likes to talk to them but if they dont interest him in chat he seems to turn off.

Thanks for the reply..

Well, his attributes appear similar to the symptoms of Attention deficit hyperactivity disorder ( ADHD ) , which usually starts at the age of 5-7 years , and is characterised by lack of focus , attention and concentration not only in studies , but in doing simple daily tasks , as a result of which the child ends up leaving all tasks unfinished .

Also, there is hyperactivity and easy disractability and frequent shifting of focus from one task to another , and this non-sustainability of focus , makes the child lag behind time .

Kindly see the link below for further understanding of ADHD..

So, i suggest that you need to rule out ADHD for your son through evaluation done by a seasoned child psychiatrist or child psychologist , because if he is not evaluated now ,then his ADHD , will become more aggravated and disrupting his normal daily activities .

So, i suggest that you get him evaluated by a child psychiatrist or child psychologist and once the diagnosis of ADHD is confirmed then the psychiatrist or psychologist will start him on psychotherapy , that s counseling in lay terms.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all th best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what else could it be?? im not happy with this opinion.
Expert:  Carol Kryder LMFT replied 6 years ago.
Hello, I may have another thought on this. I agree, it is not laziness. Although I would definitely like to rule out ADD or ADHD, it is possible that your child has another kind of attention or visual perception, or auditory processing problem. His school psychologist can test him for these issues as well as other learning disabilities.

I was going to tell you how to navigage the US system to get him assistance, but I just realized you are from Great Britain. If it is possible to get him tested at the school please do so. I am thinking there is an issue with what he sees or hears and how the information reaches his brain. This is totally treatable, but he will need some special attention.

I am guessing that you will need to be assertive in England, just as we must be in the US. Advocate for your child. Keep contacting people until you can talk to someone who can help. This should not be ignored. His educational success depends on the correct diagnosis.

I wish you well. Good luck.