Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

my daughter has a history of depression she has seen a psychiatri

Customer Question

my daughter has a history of depression she has seen a psychiatrist for over 5 years. she was on zoloft and it was not working. we told the doctor and he put her on prozac. she got headaches everyday so he put her back on zoloft even though we said it did not work. she ended up in the hospital with increased depression and anxiety. he kept her on the zoloft all through her hospital stay and then discharged her with it. Is this a common practice
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well , it is very unfortunate to see that your daughter has been pushed around from one nook to another, without any one realizing the dangerous potential of her commiting suicide and act of self harm if she does not get appropriate treatment , and the fact that she has been put on the drug which has already failed to give her relief from her symptoms , so i will suggest that since whe has attempted suicide in the recent past , so this period is very crucial for her as she is very vulnerable and can commit another attempt of suicide ,as this is is commonly seen in depressed patients , so for her safety , i would suggest that she needs supervised treatment in indoor psychiatry facility in the hospital for the time being , as this hosptial admission is best for her safety , plus you can discuss the below mentioned drug regime with the psychiatrist who is going to take her case .

The drug regime is as follows.

1) a combination of two anti depressants such as effexor XR or paxil cr in the morning and trazodone in the night .

2) 1 mood stabilizer such as lithium or valproate needs to be added .

3) 1 anti anxiety drug such as either klonopin or ativan , at night only dose is to be added .

So, a combination of these 4 drugs needs to be started , after discussing their doses with her psychiatrist , and i am quite sure that she will respond to this regime and wil come out of her depression and then will be discharged and treated as out patient.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards..