Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

need stress counseling

Customer Question

need stress counseling
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

As you have ruled out the medical approach, I would advise psychotherapy .

I would recommend the use of Cognitive Behavioral Therapy. In CBT, new learning and ways of behaving take place and as a result, one's mood improves. In addition CBT is evidenced based as the most effective form of treating anxiety. See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

I hope you have found this information useful and wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have post tramatic stress disorder caused by sudden death of my only sister.Then was involved in a car accident, huband was driving I was injured, he was not. Followed by son-in-law's addiction to crack ruining my daughters life. She has moved in with us until her divorce. My husband of 39 years has left ... can't blame him.
Had good couseling from EMT's in the back of an ambulance last Wednesday. Had to call the squad for my elderly uncle. He refused treatment, so I became a patient :)
Now workers comp has stepped in because the car accident was on company property! Hearing is Dec. 9th, not my choice. It only fuels my stress ... what a nightmare! I've never been to a hearing so I have panic attacks too.

You are allowed to have a representative, not necessarily a lawyer accompany you to the hearing or a friend if you wish. The Board has a list of registered representatives and if you win the Board determines their compensation. This may eliminate some of the fear. Also concentrate on your breathing and try to relax your muscles are both techniques that can be easily learned to help with anxiety. Best wishes and good luck!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
My chiropractor has taught me the breathing, streching etc. Also the EMT that day.My husband will ( I Hope) since he is the only witness will be by my side. Still creates more stress going to a hearing, will take a pill that morning :)
Dr. Cheff told me my body can't heal until my mind does. He has recomended Jim Fitzsimmons. Do you advise that call. I am paying ALL medical until the hearing and am broke. That's why I reached out to you. Any advice is greatly appreciated...

I do not know Jim Fitzsimmons so I cannot speak to his ability to aid you. In addition, the representative does not cost you any money and is paid from the findings so you do not have to worry about fees. I do suggest that you use the breathing and stretching that will serve you well. Your husband at your side should also be a comfort. I wish you the best and good luck and try to relax.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Jim is a LCSW recommended for my conseling. With an empty bank account I was hoping you would be of more help.
This morning I got great help on this site about my injured cat. Thought my mind was also important ... so far more stress. Don't need anymore of that. Just asking how do I get ME back?

I am sorry that I have not provided the the type and amount of help you deserve and require, I think if you could afford it that Mr. Fitzsimmons would be of great assistance. In addition, he may be willing to accept compensation from workman's comp. Your mind is truly important to me and I am willing to stay on the subject until you feel that your issue is satisfactorily addressed. So it would be helpful to narrow it down if you could with specific questions that I could respond to. I truly understand that you are going through a rough time, as I was personally involved in a workman's comp hearing myself and I know how stressful it can be prior to the hearing. I can share that the hearing officer was kind and gentle and just seeking the facts. So I would like to recommend that you try to relax as difficult as it may be as in reality there is nothing to be fearful of. I hope that this is more helpful.

Please let me know if you require further information and/or assistance.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
You have told me little of what I already know Ralph and I am disappointed. Maybe the vet will be of more help :(

Again my apologies and that is whay I am asking that you continue with your questioning so that I may satisfactorily respond!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Incidentally, you mentioned the vet and your cat. I am sitting here with my 3 cats stoking them. Scientific studies have shown that unlike any other animals cats have a unique ability to lessen stress as measured by an up to 15 point reduction ones systolic blood pressure through the mere act of stroking them!

Again with best wishes,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Thank you so much for all of your help & advice today. It meant alot to me. I have an appt with the LCSW on Wednesday, so hopefully that will get me headed in the right direction. The fact that he closed his office and moved his practice to a location near the Shenandoah River in a beautiful white barn really got my attention. It will be so beautiful and the best therapy for me at this point in my journey.
Thanks again!!

It was my pleasure to be of assistance and I wish you the best at the hearing and hope that it is not too stressful.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC