Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE LIMITATIONS IN COUNSELLING ARENA.HOW

Customer Question

HOW WOULD YOU DESCRIBE LIMITATIONS IN COUNSELLING ARENA.HOW DOES A BEGINEER COUNSELLOR RECOGNISE THESE AND WHAT STEPS SHOULD THEY TAKE TO OVERCOME THESE LIMITATIONS
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

Could you clarify what you mean by limitations, also by definition limitations are just that. Are you talking about realistic expectations?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMCH

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Yes that is exactly what I mean. Realistic limitations. As a begineer you almost feel like you should have a check list - however I know this is not acceptable, but I would like to note what you think are areas that would limit a counsellor from moving and what steps should be taken to avoid them

I am still not totally clear, but if I go back to when I first started "I wanted to cure" everyone. I wanted to perform. metaphorically speaking miracles. I looked around and saw that there were no cures and very few miracles being performed. At the same time as I changed, there was also a general change in outlook away from cures towards symptom reduction and that is the direction I would go towards were I you. In addition whether required or not treatment plans with intermediate goals will help you to stay on track and frame realistic goals. Lastly I would suggest that if supervision is not provided , that you go through the expense of hiring an individual for supervision. It is tax deductible as a business expense and pays off in other ways. I hope that you have found this information useful and wish you the best!

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Sorry but I was thinking more of the aspects that could cause limitations. Such as not biuilding a relationship, lack of expertise, unreadable body language. Those were the sort of things that I thought you might be able to expand on for me and how to avoid them and many more I am sure you will be alble to talk about with your vast experience

Sorry,, I misread what you were interested in! I'll see if I can better address your question point by point.

The first and most important is the boundary issues of relation. The ONLY RELATION THAT YOU SHOULD HAVE IS A PROFESSIONAL ONE. So you should to avoid any non in office contact, and be careful to limit self disclosure. If you wish to be sure then do no self disclosure. If you chose to self disclose, keep it brief and only to those things that would further advance treatment. As far as lack of expertise, if you feel the issue is beyond your competence even with supervision, then refer to a colleague who has more expertise in that area. I am not sure what you mean by unreadable body image, but be aware of yours and try to present a relaxed, in control image. As far as the client is concerned use the body image when it is clear as a subject for therapy or they say "grist for the mill". If there is anything further that I can answer, please feel free to ask. I hope that this has been more useful and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>