Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I keep hearing the same music all the time, it is classical

I keep hearing the same music all the time, it is classical music. Even when I play a pop song the same classical music plays in my head. I also hear the music when I try to sleep. I'm very worried as I think I must be going mad.

I don't think that you are going mad, bt it does sound like you are experiencing auditory hallucinations if you are actually hearing the music. The first thing I would do is see a neurologist for a thorough work up to rule out any organic reasons for hearing the music. If the results should come back negative, I would then get a psychiatric evaluation. The physician may choose to use one of a number of medications. I am assuming, because you did not say otherwise that this is the only symptom that is occuring. Just to share with you that several of my patients with auditory hallucinations have tried using their Ipods, etc to drown out the msic and unfortunately it has proved totally ineffective. I hope this information has been usefl to you and wish you the best.

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I didn't tell you. I've had a problem in the last week from the television. It has got so bad that I do not understand anyone on the programme. I know I sound strange but I feel very confused. I'm not deaf and I'm also having problems understanding my partner. I started antidepressant 5 weeks ago. Maybe, that’s causing my problems (Mirtazapine)

Given that, I would think that you are having hallucinations, If you are seeing a psychiatrist then I would definitely report these events to him/her. With severe depression, these types of events some times occur and require different medication from the antidepressant that you are taking. In addition, Mirtazapine has been known to cause mild psychedelic effects and so it may be a factor. Again you should speak to your prescribing physician.

Best wishes and good luck!

Ralph LMHC