Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

I think I am heading for a breakdown. I have danced a very

Customer Question

I think I am heading for a breakdown. I have danced a very fine line with alcohol all my adult life but now realise I am not in control of it. I am drinking too much on a very regular basis. I am behaving rashly and have taken some terrible risks & made terrible mistakes. I slept with my fiance's best friend recently and have just got back in contact with an ex from 9 years ago who is telling me he loves me & wants to leave his wife to be with me. I feel unhappy in my relationship but cannot place why. I still love my ex but I love my fiance too. I thought I was drinking more because I was unhappy in my relationship but the reality is probably the drinking that is making me unhappy. I want to talk but I want to hide at the same time. I wake up tired & I feel lost. I work in the caring profession & have always given so much of myself to others but at the moment I feel like the most selfish person on the planet. Should I tell my fiance what I have done or leave to spare him.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I would start with working on you. I would not make any rash decisions until you have a clear head and can make a clear decision. I would suggest you start by talking to a counselor. They will be able to do a good evaluation and help you start sorting everything out. They may also refer to you an intensive outpatient rehab proram. They will also do an evaluation for depression and if you are depressed can refer you to a psychiatrist for an anti-depressant. After all this is started and you will be able to figure out what you need to do in regards XXXXX XXXXX relationship.

Let me know if I can assist anymore.