Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

i am taking 10mg of Abilify every night. Could this medication

Customer Question

i am taking 10mg of Abilify every night. Could this medication be causing my hair to fall out. I also have an existing problem with swelling of the feet and ankles, which I am being treated for. Could Abilify exacerbate swellng of the feet and ankles. Thank you very much. Grace
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
What are you being treated for???
Any other medical conditions/medications?
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

anxiety and some depression borderline bipolar

I can find evidence for hair loss with Depakote, which is the older and better known. That doesn't mean the subsequent meds are not causing sysmptoms, especially swelling. I can't say one is cauing the other (drugs-swelling, hair loss) but they are certainly reasonable possibility. I seldom see abilify prescribed alone. It is usually used in conjunction with antidepressants. It is hard to evaluate the relative severity of your anxiety, depression, and bi-polar, but your treatment meds are mostly focused on the bi-polar. If you are diabetic you are more at risk for some of these effects. I would discuss your systoms and diagnosis with you treating MD and see if a more conservative approach may be possible, or at least becoming more clear on diagnosis.
Short answer: hairloss reported rarely with depokote; swelling possible with any; not sure on abilify. It is so new, we may not know. Good luck.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I had diabetic numbers a few years ago, but not anymore. I was than treated with Metformin. I had thought Abilify might be raising my blood sugar. I will have it checked. Thank you so much, Ed.

It can do that. Also, feedback when you accept answer really helps my reputation (you will be asked). No one see's it here, although I appreciate it.