Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I think I have symptoms of BPD without the symptoms of self-mutilation,

I think I have symptoms of BPD without the symptoms of self-mutilation, substance abuse. I suffer off and on from dysphoria, after major disappointments. I beat up on myself and I wish I would die. I am however not suicidal. I return to normal within a few days and I can feel the effects of these setbacks in my mind and throughout my body as if I've beaten myself. It's not about anger at others, it's about me; I hurt.

My relationships are not as intense as BPD describe, but whenever I have relationship problems I suffer much longer than most especially after a fight or a break up. Letting go is very hard. I can't really get involved, but when I do I love deeply but get hurt. I may lose the person
because I am impulsive or too dramatic. I have been told I am dysthymic or a depressive neurosis. When I was ten, I suffered with an eating disorder (anorexia) for three months after a traumatic event.

Do you think I could have BPD? I plan seek help for medication.

The hall mark of BPD is the instability of interpersonal relations, vast sways in emotion, mood and feelings about things from very good to very bad. Self mutilation is not a necessary component, but risk taking usually is. We all have some borderline traits, but bot sufficient enough to justify a diagnosis. In order for it to be considered a disorder, the symptoms have to be sufficient enough to interfere with your functioning. The true way to find out is to have a thorough interview from a mental health professional. However the only reason for that would be that there is, as I stated a disturbance in functioning. I am leaving 2 links. One is a self test, but as i again stated it cannot replace an in depth interview by a professional:

The other link is a description of BPD, symptoms, treatment, etc:

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.