Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

I dont think my wife loves me anymore. I still love her and

Customer Question

I don't think my wife loves me anymore. I still love her and would do anything to keep our family (daughter 16, son 14, wife 46, me 53, cat 6) together. What should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
You clearly care and have a lot to stay together for. When we spend a long time married we sacrifice excitement for security. Sometimes it is tempting to change. I definitely think you need some outside intervention. Marriage counseling that will help you communicate and solve issues. (I am trying to say avoid "prescriptive marriage counseling - someone who tells you what to do. GOOD marriage counseling should help the two of you decide what you want and how to get it.) I must tell you, after many years of doing marriage counseling, it does carry a risk. Some people just want a counselor to pronounce a relationship dead. Odds are in your favor, but it doesn't always work out. If she refuses to go, perhaps she will go with you to help you deal with how the marriage is turning out. This is not a "do it yourself" project. You will likely end up being submissive and/or angry, not someone she will respect and love. Good luck.