Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I was diagnosed with post trauma disorder about 7 years ago

I was diagnosed with post trauma disorder about 7 years ago and one of the lingering problems I have is that I cannot remember people. It is embarassing still when they remember me and I do not remember them. I did try seriously to end my life 7 years ago thru a mix of pills after I tried for I think maybe 1/2 hour in the garage with exahst fumes from 2 vehicles did not work. At this point I question if there was some brain damage, or is this just the time thing for healing, as I was told the memory can be the last to come back.

Did you have a thorough neurological exam after the incident?

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
No, I did not, all I remember is that I was taken to hospital and just made the 24hour time frame and was put on an IV that cleansed my liver, which I was told was only 1/3rd functioning and I was in hospital for 6-7 days to see if my levels would come down as they were all extreme. They told me that it would take 5-6 days to peak and then should come down. I am sorry but I do not remember the technical name of these. I had to get blood tests for the next year to ensure my liver etc. got back to normal. The pills I took ranged from tylenol 3 to antidepressants to some powerfull migraine meds, which I do not remember what they were now.

If I understand correctly the incident was 7 years ago, so whatever would and should have healed would have done so by now. Short term memory issues are associated with anxiety and depression. Further as we age there is a natural deterioration in our short term memory. I would definitely obtain a neurological work up.

If you find it embarassing and need to come up with some one's name, everyone will understand a brief statement to the effect "I'm sorry but I am so bad with names". I have done it myself and just about everyone can relate to it and not become offended so I would not worry about it.

Ralph LMHC
If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!
Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.