Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

My son is 12 years old and has been diagnosed with ADD. He

Customer Question

My son is 12 years old and has been diagnosed with ADD. He has been on different medications - now focalin (sp). My concern is with his social behaviors. He does no interact well with others and actually does things that result in the other kids teasing him. I just found three notes of apology from three of his classmates because they made fun of him after he took a sandwich out of the garbage and put it in his pocket "for later." Hew hid these notes from me and when I ask him why did he take the food from the garbage he answers "I don't know." It breaks my heart to see him like this with out any friends and really living in this world of tv and DS games. When he was born he had to have three major surgeries beore the age of six months that were very time consuming - he lost two-thirds of his small intestine. I wonder if being under for so long during surgery caused some kind of brain damage? Do you have any suggestions?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 6 years ago.
Hi and welcome

Children who have ADD can have social problems that interfere with their social interactions and cause them to be the the brunt of other children's teasing. Some of the reasons are that kids with ADD can be impulsive, like taking the sandwich out of the garbage. When he told you he didn't know why he took it out of the garbage he was telling you the truth, it was an impulsive act that he didn't think about the consequences. If you think he is isolating himself or being isolated because of his poor social skills a cognitive behavioral therapist is a good idea, you may see some improvement. He would learn social skills and in therapy work with the therapist honing these skills using role playing, modeling behavior etc. His age is also a factor, there are boys his age who are interested in a variety of different activities including the opposite sex and he may not know where he fits in. I would talk to the school psychologist or his teacher and ask that you be kept in the loop when he is disciplined such as this incident. How can you help if you have no idea what is going on in school? Many times kids with ADD also can be diagnosed with depression or anxiety. I would check that out with his psychiatrist and if he is getting his meds from another source, such as his pediatrician I would suggest you find a psychiatrist who can determine if he is suffering from depression. I do not believe he has brain damage due to his surgeries. His behavior is pretty typical of a kid with ADD.
I hope this helps.

Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.
Thank you for your response. I have already written a note for my son's teacher to ask that the school therapist meet with him weekly. I will also look into therapy as you suggested.