Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

I am a mother of a 21 year old daughter who is several states

I am a mother of a 21 year old daughter who is several states away. She went away to go to college, but cannot seem to handle classes or life right now. She started taking Zoloft(50mg daily) in May of this year. She understood she was to increase the dose to 100mg mid summer. She felt like it was too much and cut back down to 50mg for the past 5-6 weeks. She seems to be increasingly despairing,rage-filled,self-loathing,and hopeless (also very sleepy) She has seen a doctor in the public health system--appointments are a couple monthsdown the road at best. She has called the suicide hotline before. I have encouraged her to call tonite when she gets off work. I'm considering flying out there (California) to help her find some help. She is considering moving back home in January when her lease is up. Any thoughts onthe situation? Any ideas how I can help?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 6 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

I am glad that she is willing to get help. That really helps alot. Is she suicidal right now? If so calling the suicide line would be helpful or she can go to the hospital. If she is suicidal they will admit her and adjust her medications while she is there. They will be able to keep her safe and help her start feeling better. Also her college should have a mental health clinic that should be able to see her much quicker than the local mental health clinic.

Let me know if I can assist anymore.