Dr. Ed Wilfong
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience:  Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.

Hi, Im a 61-year old woman who has been a compulsive overeater/food

Customer Question

Hi, I'm a 61-year old woman who has been a compulsive overeater/food addict since the age of 4. I've always eaten until sick..I've gained and lost over 1100 lbs. in my lifetime; 20 years ago lost over 300 lbs. kept it off 5.5 years & gained half back. I've been maintaining a weight gain for 12 years. My highest weight was 480 lbs. I'm now about 280 lbs. I can't get on the scale; I can't seem to get enough determination andmotivation. I've had so much emotional healing from a 12 step program but overeaters anonymous does not work for me; I can't identify with women/men who have a problem with food but have not had the devastation to their bodies and they're only handling 30-40 lbs. tolose. After my 300 lb weight loss I required 8 skin removal surgeries just to give some form to my body. I was like a burn victim -- only 35-40% improvement and the only place on my body from head to toe that I'm not cut are my shoulders and feet. I have no children or family; grew up in violenthome
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 6 years ago.
Hi there,
It sounds like you have tried so many different things! It sounds like a terrible struggle you have endured.

I am wondering about a few other options to try. I didn't see therapy listed as an "already tried option". Have you tried therapy before? If not, I would recommend this as a next step. Also, I'm wondering with Overeaters or Alcoholics Anonymous did you have a sponsor to help you work the steps of the program? If so, did you work the steps all the way through and did you participate in service work? Another option you might want to consider would be hypnotherapy. Hypnosis can be very effective in changing the subconscious thought patterns that keep us stuck in unhealthy life patterns. Another option could be to higher a life coach to guide you through lifestyle changes.

I hope these suggestions help. Please feel free to ask any other questions or for clarification about my answer.

Take care,

If you've found this answer helpful today, please leave Feedback after Accepting so that I can receive credit for my work. Thank you!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
I thought the answer would have been more defined to my needs
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

I am not going to accept this answer-- I want a credit to my Visa and I regret getting on to your website!

Customer: replied 6 years ago.
what is going on? I've e-mailed your customer service; I've notified you that I'm not accepting the answer provided and still there's no action here. is this how you dupe people into taking their money?
Expert:  Dr. Ed Wilfong replied 6 years ago.
Food addictions are extremeely hard to resolve. I see your frustration. Normally people eat due to hunger. In eating disorders, people eat in response to non-physiologiacal cues. Behavioral, and cognitive behavioral therapy may help you identify the cues your eating is in response to and/or develop a behavioral plan to deal with eating behavior. TYpically, long standing CONTROL issues from childhood are are the heart of these things, unless you were severely deprived of food whan young.
Medications may be hard to tolerate, but recent research has identified neural pathways that change with eating disorders. They are similar to the ones identified in PTSD. SSRI MEDICATIONS SHOW PROMISE. Despite side effects, I can't imagine a side effect worse than what you are suffering. I hope that is of some help. You may have heard it all before, but you have a difficult struggle ahead.
Customer: replied 6 years ago.

what are PTSD.SSRI medications-- I'm not an MD I don't know what that is

Post Traumatic Stress Disorder
Selective Serotonin Reuptake Medications (e.g. prozac, celexa, zoloft, among anothers
Dr. Ed Wilfong, Psychologist
Experience: Twenty-five years treating all ages; Specialities: psychopharmacology & diagnosis, MMPI-2, testing.