Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have PTSD and am wondering what diet works best.

The mainstream research is not very supportive of diet as a means of treating PTSD. But here is some research that a hypoglycemic diet may be beneficial for PTSD. See:

http://www.hypoglycemia.asn.au/articles/PTStress.html In my research I have found only positive things and no negatives, so it would seem to make sense to give it a try as long as all your other blood chemistry is being monitored.

A similar situation is to be found with the use of EMDR, mainstream research does not support it, but there are some indications that it helps. If I were to be in the position of having PTSD and the devastating symptoms that are associated with it, then candidly, I would first try conventional means like psychotherapy and medication and if the results were not satisfactory, I would try anything that was not harmful to obtain alleviation.

I hope this information has been helpful and wish you the best and what better preoccupation is there than to try and find relief for this devastating illness.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am in pshycotherapy, and have tried medication. The medications all have side effects that I don't tolerate, with the exception of xanax, which most don't like to prescribe long term because of the addiction aspects of the drug. So I thought as long as I can't take xanax to lessen the effects of PTSD that maybe some changes in my diet might provide some relief.

As I said I absolutely agree withn you. The one addition that I might make is to try cognitive behavioral therapy. In CBT you learn new ways of thnking and acting and as a result your feelings improve. It is evideced based effective on anxiety disorders.

See:

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you very much. I am on the right track and will check the websites you have provided.

Good Luck

Sincerely,

Customer/p>