Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

hello, I think I am going mental. I knew this guy for 10 yrs,

hello, I think I am going mental. I knew this guy for 10 yrs, just friends nothing physical....until recently...
he is an artist, and a very good one....everything is what he wants...for me to promote his paintings...write good reviews...but that is not all, he started things like arguments, I am talking to many people, I am being too friendly, trying to isolate me...he tells lies all the time. He asked me I trust him, and honestly I was too afraid to say NO, I do not....so I told him yes i do....makes small issues into big issues that is irrelevant to me...
talks very charming, gives the impression that he is a real sweetheart...
has conned me into buying him his dinner out....he said he lost his wallet, which I did not believe....he thinks his life is more important than mine, does not show any conscience or real caring.
I would like to know if I am dealing with sociopath, narcissim, or just a guy that wants to treat women badly....I feel he does not even like me period....
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I believe your description is apt and you would do best to care for yourself and separate from this individual as your needs do not seem to be important. Again this is my opinion, and the only time I would recommend separation on a website if there was a statement of physical abuse which you have not mentioned. If you have doubts, you may wish to see a therapist for a few session to sort things out and then make decision and stick with it,

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, but it sounded very vague.....my description is apt....??? what does that mean....???

Also, I am caring for myself.

Hello.

Sorry for the lack of clarity!. Your description of his behavior and characterizing it as sociopathy and narcissism seems to be on target (or as I said apt). I understand that you are caring for yourself, but it clearly sounds that he takes advantage of your relationship. I do hope that this was clearer. With the amount of information, I am hesitant to say that you should separate. As I said that is something that you have to decide and may need some assistance is setting up the pluses versus the minuses. Again the only time I would feel comfortable in making a recommendation to end a relation on website with minimal information is if he were physically abusive as that does not require clarification. If you require further explanation please do not hesitate in asking

Sincerely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no physical abuse, but it got close too it....I could have been hit because he lacks empathy in my feelings, he stopped drinking after a car accident....

As I said he certainly does not seem to care which should make your decision easy. Oh I do not think that you are going mental but rather being treated in the most cdonfuding of manners. One way one time-caring and another way at another time-extremely selfishly. That is enough to confuse anyone and make them feel "mental".

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for your reply, I needed some positive feedback....I have been getting many mixed emotions. I see what you mean about him having a one way--.one time caring and then other times selfishly to his satisfaction....I was beginning to feel like a prisoner to his demands...and controlling personality.

If I cannot forget him in time, I will seek some counselling. Over 10 yrs is a long time as friends, but things grew into intimacy that is when all the problems started....

thanks again for your reply.

Your welcome and I am glad you are starting conseling to help you sort things out and make decisons easier and wiser. If my answer was useful, please press the accept button. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>