Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

i think my partner has bpd , she finished the relationship

Customer Question

i think my partner has bpd , she finished the relationship without discussion 2 weeks ago in a rage . since we still have contact and she still kisses me and hugs me when i leave her to go home to my own house? is this usual behavoir for bpd , what should i expect next. she is now being very distant and excluding me from social occasions.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Hello.

By BPD, I assume that you mean Borderline personality disorder. Since extremes and mood swings, and instability of interpersonal relations are hallmarks of BPD. I would expect the opposite-trying to engage you, embracing, loving behavior, and smothering. I am going to include a link that describes the symptoms of BPD so you can know what to expect. The important thing is to try to react with your head (rationality), not your heart (emotionality). You may unconditionally loving of her as a person while still disapproving of her behavior. When you express it (disapproval) do it in the most non emotional means as possible as you do not wish to reinforce the inappropriate behavior. I hope this information has been useful to you and I wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC