Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I was diagnosed with bipolar2 after 16 yrs of rollercoastering

Customer Question

I was diagnosed with bipolar2 after 16 yrs of rollercoastering emotions, ups, downs, spontaneous decisions and a couple of suicide attempts. I was prescribed lamotragine, 100mg which i have taken for 4 mths. The last 4 weeks i have been very low, i recognise my symptoms and asked for help. I have a a=new link worker due to moving, and had to meet a new consultant who has now told me that i dont have bipolar 2. I have stopped my meds, and have been told to wait for counselling to become available. I feel totally lost, i finally thought i had an answer for all these years of wierdness-now i dont. I=Can someone rewrite a diagnosis on the basis that lamotragine has not worked? Please help, i dont know where to turn.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

It truly sounds like a radical approach to just say you have different diagnosisi and stop your meds. What are yor symptoms The only difference in bipolar II is that you do not experience a full manic episode. Have you? Are you being medicated for depression?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
HI, i tend to be more depressive. i literally dont want to be alive, but because i have 4 small children that is not an option. I often buy animals when i am having a happy moment, or sell things or give them away. I always maintain a routine for my family, keep on top of housework, cook etc. Inside i feel dead and am mostly onauto pilot. I have moved house 6 times in 6 years. The psychiatrist feels that because i keep order and dont respond to the drugs i have that the previous dr, psych and linkworkers made a wrong diagnosis. I did fel ok on lamotragine for few weeks but i do have tims where i feel ok. Now i feel worse again and this has not changed up or down since stopping the meds. I am not being treated with anything and my dr was worried about intervening now psych has suggested waiting just for counselling. What can be wrong with me? I dont self harm drink or take drugs. I hav anxiety attacks, am too scared to drive, hate being left alone and can cry very easily for many hours for no reason that i can see. I hate being alive and hate myself for feeling like this when i have a beautiful family. Most days i ache in my joints and feel exhausted. thankyou

Please stop hating your self, it is truly non productive. You as you describe are not being treated for depression or anxiety regardless of your of your diagnosis. I believe that this is most imperative and I would hope that you bring it up with your prescribing physician. remember you treat the symptoms not the diqagnosis. Unfortunately it is necessary to advocate for yourself to obtain good services!

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.