Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I am pushing my boyfriend away.

Customer Question

I am pushing my boyfriend away.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Is there a reason to push your boyfriend away? Is he abusive. Could you formulate your issue into a question so that I could give you an appropriate answer?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is not an abusive. He is a very good boyfriend and I communicate with him a lot. He changes things according to our communications, to help me feel better about whatever situation.

I've always been this way with men. I push them away or become extremely jealous and start to hate my life when I'm in a relationship. I want to know how to be in a relationship and not hate myself.

It sounds like you have problems with intimacy and so to avoid confronting this issue you push him away. Then as a result of this behavior and I assume it has happened more than once you dislike yourself. I would suggest that first you dislike your behavior and not yourself as they are too different things and this just one aspect of your entire character. Unfortunately, it appears to be well established in your personality and to make such a major personality change will probably require professional help. In this case I would recommend Cognitive Behavioral Therapy where you learn ways of changing thinking and behaving and as a result you change your feelings about yourself. See

http://www.rcpsych.ac.uk/mentalhealthinformation/therapies/cognitivebehaviouraltherapy.aspx

You have every reason to believe that with appropriate help this will change for the better. I hope that this has proved useful information to you and wish yo the best.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I am not from the UK. Do you recommend a more holistic approach when seeking therapists for any reason? I do believe cognitive therapy is my best option as I am in school for pyschology myself (almost done) and it has always seemed the most senseful to me.

I am not in the UK either, it is just a good description. I too believe that a cognitive apoproach would be the most beneficial and it is the only one that is evidence based.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.