Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

Thank you for your reply, Not sur that my daughter really has

Thank you for your reply, Not sur that my daughter really has social anexiety disorder, but she certainly would have some symptems due to her past experience. I would like your opinion if you think she would be better attending a clinical phychologist or maybe cognitive behaviour therapy rather than a Phychiatrist and councilling to overcome the shyness and inadequecy she experiences and overcome her past experiences. Maybe you would be able to explain the benefits of each therapy. She finds it particularly difficult in college because some of the people who had already bullied her in school are in attendance and doing the same course and are continuing to bully her by isolating her from the group, some people whom she would have been quiet friendly abandoned her and have now joined forces with the people who don't seem to like her and enjoy making her life miserable.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.
I am going to let Anna answer your question since you are following up with her. I will forward this to her.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

I definitly would recommend the CBT counseling over general counseling, although the clinical psychologist may use that technique. CBT is practiced by many types of professionals. It's benefits are that it is very goal oriented and focused on behavioral outcomes, which in turn will make the person feel better inside. You are coached to make decisions about the outcomes you desire and then design a plan to achieve them. The premise is that better thinking and behavior leads to better emotional wellbeing and success in life.

The psychiatrist is a fully qualified medical doctor who specializes in treatment of brain and emotional/behavior disorders. Some offer extensive counseling along with medication management, others work in tandem with counselors. Many people go to both a counselor and a psychiatrist at the same time. It depends on what that physician offers in his services. If her psychiatrist offers CBT counseling and medical management, that would be great.

Being bullied makes people nervous and sad - sometimes angry. She needs to work with someone who will help her develop stategies to change how she presents herself to others so that they don't see her as a good target to bother. When her emotions are in better shape through counseling and the doctor, she'll be in a better place to stand up to them and assert herself in a way that respects herself and others. It's very hard to bully a confident person, and your daughter can learn how to project confidence until she feels it with CBT.

Thanks for the opportunity to work with you on this. My best to your daughter.

Anna

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.