Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My daughter has been having a bad time for years, she is just

My daughter has been having a bad time for years, she is just 20 now and in University, she seems to be plagued by people bullying and isolating her ever since she first started school at age 5, she is very shy and timid and takes everything to heart. Almost everyone she became friends with have just deserted her left her feeling very isolated and lonley. She has been in councilling for over 6 months and it doesn't seem to have helped, she has just started attending a psychiatrist. Is this a good idea and what results can we expect?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

HiCustomer

I suspect that your daughter has some depression and/or some anxiety that can be treated by a psychiatrist with very good outcomes. If she continues her counseling and working with the doctor, she'll be able to come through this and be very glad she did. She may have been plagued with Social Anxiety Disorder for years, but not to a level that needed treatment. Kids with that get bullied because they're easy targets and take it all in on themselves. It's very painful. I'm going to give you a couple links to read so that you can know more about it.

Depression
Anxiety

Thank you for the chance to help you out today. My best to your daughter and congratulations that she has begun proper treatment.

Anna