Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

Please could you tell me how long withdrawal from dosulepin

Please could you tell me how long withdrawal from dosulepin might last? My daughter was taking 175mgs for migraine prevention, which did not work, for 18 months. She has withdrawn very gradually but after stopping the last dose her headaches are no longer responsive to indometacin, and she is emotional, irritable, anxious, shaky and suffering from strange dreams. Of greatest concern are the severe headaches and failure of indometacin, which is the only thing to have ever helped.She stopped the dosulepin 5 weeks ago.
Thank you,
V Howell
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH replied 7 years ago.
Hi there, SSRI withdrawal can last for quite a while. 5 weeks would be a reasonable time period to still have some withdrawal symptoms. Did she taper off of the dosulepin at the advice of her dr? Tapering is a very important part of coming off SSRI's or the withdrawal symptoms can seem very severe. If she is experiencing all of the symptoms above I would encourage her to talk with her Dr and explain about coming off the medication and to ask if there is any connection with the indometacin not working. I'm not aware of SSRI withdrawal effecting the the effectiveness of this medicine but part of withdrawal can be severe headaches.

I hope this helps, please feel free to ask any other questions. Take care, Kym

Edited by Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH on 11/1/2009 at 2:14 PM EST