Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I am an RN who works on a 20 bed locked hospital Psychiatric

Customer Question

I am an RN who works on a 20 bed locked hospital Psychiatric Unit. I feel our unit is too loose & would appreciate your viewpoint on restricted items. We have nothing written down for guidelines & I am alarmed by items getting through the door. Perhaps you could suggest a site for contraband issues. Thanks in advance.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

A good resource may be www.allnurses.com/psychiatricnursing and then I wold serach for contraband. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

I have been to that site previously & it is useful. I was hoping more of a personal account of what you have experienced & seen working in the mental health field.

Sorry, Thought you just wanted something in terms of a resource with new ideas. When I worked on an inpatient unit several years ago and after a number of serious assaults, especially from patients transferred from other units, the following occurred: The administration was notified that the staff was having a meeting and they were invited to come. The union rep was there too. The complaints were voiced, including the hospital's liability. The administrator agreed that there was a problem and agreed to contact other hospitals for there policy and procedural manuals. From there a P & P was culled for this unit. Staffing patterns were also then arranged too with iattentio as to security.

I hope this information was more helpful.

Here is the specific link: http://allnurses.com/psychiatric-nursing/contraband-checks

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

My attempt at leaving you feedback failed-leaping off in cyber space so I will do so here

You appear to be a caring and concerned RN in a difficult situation. Wish you success in your undertaking and recommend that it be a joint project with input from all>

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC