Ask Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH Your Ow...
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH
Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH, Therapist
Experience:  Over 15 years of experience as a substance abuse therapist. I am a Licensed Clinical Social Worker
25692555

I was wondering if youd heard of EMDR treatment. My wife

I was wondering if you'd heard of EMDR treatment. My wife thinks that could be an answer to the nighmares and the drinking. What think you?
Hi there,
EMDR is Eye Movement Desensitization and Reprocessing. It is used for the treatment of emotional distress usually tied to some sort of emotional trauma. It is very effective in treating issues related to trauma and sometimes abusing alcohol and nightmares could be symptoms related to this. Did she experience a difficult or emotional event?
If her drinking has surpassed abuse and if she would meet the diagnostic criteria for alcohol dependence, EMDR is not going to cure this. Alcoholism is a disease that needs to be treated separately.
I would suggest calling an EMDR therapist as they will do a thorough assessment and establish whether or not EMDR would be the appropriate treatment for your wife. As stated above, it very well may be if it is related to a traumatic event.

I hope this answer helps, please feel free to ask further questions if you would like.

Take care, Kym

If you found the answer helpful please click the "accept" button and please leave feedback indicating that this response was helpful.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Hmm, we seem to have missed the direction of the question here.
Sorry if it seemed I missed the question. I have heard of EMDR and it could help her with the nightmares and drinking if her drinking and nightmares are related to a trauma/emotional event or events in her life.

Let me know if that clarifies it more fully.
Thanks, Kym

Edited by Kym Tolson, LCSW, CSAC, NBCCH on 11/1/2009 at 4:52 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Yes, that is much more clear. Sorry, the issue was that I have the drinking/nightmare problems - RVN, Iraq and Afghanistan - not the wife. She's just great!
Oh, so sorry! I thought she was the one suffering from the problem. Yes, EMDR is very effective particularly if it is related to combat trauma.

Sorry for the confusion!

Please let me know if you have any other questions.
Take care, Kym
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thanks for the vote of confidence in EMDR. I have resisted doing it for fear that it might not work. I suppose that is a silly concern; however, it's still something that bothers me. If EMDR doesn't well, what's left? I've tried the whisky; that gets me nowhere but deeper in a funk.
You're welcome. I would suggest seeing someone as well to assess the alcohol use to determine if it is dependency. If so, it will need to be treated also. Both issues are treatable separately and you can have a very healthy happy life if recovery is approached in the appropriate way.

Good luck to you and let me know if you have any other questions.
Take care, Kym

p.s. If you found my answer helpful, please click the "accept" button and leave feedback. Thank you.