Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Was on 30mg Cymbalta for Anxiety approx. 1 year. Wanted to

Customer Question

Was on 30mg Cymbalta for Anxiety approx. 1 year.
Wanted to discontinue.
Decrease to 20 mg for approx. 3 weeks.
Stopped taking on Thurs. 10/29 and still feel so sick. Dizzy, naseua, ...
Any suggestions???

Dawn
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Hello Dawn

Did you set this reduction schedle or did your doctor?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

Doctor switched me to 20mg.

Went to pharmacist to see if there was any lower dosage to continue with. He said 20mg. was lowest and to start taking them every other day for a week and then discontinue.

I haven't taken any for 3 days and feel quite ill.

Dawn

It is important that you contact your doctor using his/her emergency number if need be.. You may be going through seratonin withdrawal from tapering (decreasing) to rapidly. Although probably not dangerous ( I am not a physician) it can be extremely uncomfortable. He/she may have you resume and slow the process for example by taking it every other day for a period of time and then every third day, etc. This schedule is something that your doctor needs to establish for you. I hope this answer has been of help and wish you the best.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

If you require further clarification or more information, feel free to ask!

Please click the green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback is most important and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional. Use of this website DOES NOT CREATE a provider-client relation and this information is for educational purposes only.

Sorry, I neglected to include this link describing Seratonin Wiothdrawal Syndrome.

http://www.livestrong.com/article/19486-serotonin-withdrawal-syndrome/

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Hello.

Only your prescribing physician should direct you as to whether to resume taking the medication. But in most cases that is how the Syndrome is treated. Get you comfortable and resume tapering at a slower pace.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC