Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

How do I wean off of Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and Effexor XR 37.5

How do I wean off of Wellbutrin XL 150 mg and Effexor XR 37.5 mg. Both of these are the smallest doses of the meds-
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.

Especially since you've had health issues and recent surgery, the best way to withdraw from the Effexor and Wellbutrin is to call the prescribing doctor and ask for a step-down schedule that takes into account your personal health needs and age. Some people have very uncomfortable side effects when weaning off these meds, and it isn't necessary if your step-down plan is adjusted for you. It usually only takes a phone call to the office, as they do this all the time.

Congrats on your successful surgery, and you should be free of those 2 meds very soon.

If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I already know about consulting my doctor. I have requested a step down schedule from her and I am not sure about her directions for the weaning off the meds. She has recommended that I start with every other day for a week, then every second day for a week, then every third day for a week and finally every fourth day for a week -then none. Do you agree? I have read that both Wellbutrin and Effexor have short half lives and the literature I have read does not recommend skipping days.
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I'm not a doctor and therefor cannot give you medical advice, I can only relate to you experiences of patients that I've heard, and do not want to contradict your physician.

Since the meds you're on are extended release, you don't want to cut them in half, and you're already on the low doses, so thats most likely why she is recommending the skip day plan. I think its a good and easy plan and will do you well. If at the 3rd & 4th week, you feel like you want to space them more, try it once and if you get uncomfortable, get back on the original plan.

Also...the skip day plan is a good one when you're at low does, and I've heard positive stories from using it. Skipping days during active use of the meds on a normal basis is not a good plan.

I hopes this helps.

Take care