Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Am 40 yrs old-2 months ago I began to experience symptoms of

Am 40 yrs old-2 months ago I began to experience symptoms of disequilibrium, my eyes were seeing clearly but not 'correctly', as if a surreal experience, hypersensitivity to light/sound and as if my head was floating. This was about a month or so after weaning myself very slowly off of Lexapro (was taking for PMDD). I have seen several medical doctors including two neurologists. It has been the consensus of opinion, including my own that the chemicals/hormones in my brain are not excreting correctly. I started back on Lexapro about 3 1/2 wks ago. I began to see marked improvement, however, my disequilibrium never went away. Then, some of the symptoms have returned. My thought is that my body is rejecting or has too much of ? the Lexapro. Ultimately I would like to get off of this med and correct it with my own body's abilities; don't like/want side effects. however, these symptoms have affected me over these last 2 months to the point that I quit working.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 5 years ago.

I am not sure what the question is? Clearly Lexapro has had a negative effect on you. The tapering process should be under the care of a physician familiar with SSRI's So to repeat, could you please restate your question so I may give you the best answer possible.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 5 years ago.
Do you feel I'm on the right track? Do you feel there is a better drug out there that would not be contraindicated to Lexapro that I could try? Is it your opinion that my body is not responding to Lexapro? I just want to get back to feeling 'normal'. Last week I began to have panic attacks, for which the current psychiatrist I am seeing wanted me to take Cyprexa. I took one, had a bad reaction to it and discontinued immediately. I do not care for the way this doctor interacts with me. I told her that I was feeling better and then some of the symptoms have come back, etc. Honestly, I had been obsessing over this for the last 2 months, to a large degree understandably because I am 40 and have never had any of these symptoms before and it has turned my world upside down.

Help!

I am not a physician but am quite familiar with psychotropic medications. There are several other SSRI antidepressants that may be less distressing with respect to side effects. I cannot tell what your body is doing, but the side effects you describe are certainly consistent with seratonin withdrawal. I believe that the drug you are referring to is Zyprexa which is an anti psychotic medication which in low doses is sometimes used for anxiety. You should share your dissatisfaction with your doctor and if you cannot work it out you have every right to ask for a referral to another doctor or seek one on your own. I would like to add that you should not discontinue medication unless you are under a doctor's supervision as there are serious consequences to stopping medications abruptly. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional.

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs