Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

my son is having intruding thouhts that are driving him crazy

my son is having intruding thouhts that are driving him crazy he feels he is not the same person when he looks in the mirror, cant eat or sleep and now has no sexual desire with his girlfriend, is crying constantly n has thought of ending his life. and all bcus he saw some gay porn on his brothers cell phone. he was shocked and has not been the same. he tells me he is very scared that he is never gonna be the same person and he saids all he see is everything is gay and cant even look at a guy friends face bcus he thinks they are seeing him as being gay. he is 20 years old and is now acting like a 10 year old. what has happen to my son? please help me help him?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

It maybe that you son is undergoing what is called a homosexual panic which is extremely anxiety provoking. From what you describe he is very upset and depressed to the point of suicidal ideation. I would therefore make an immediate appointment with a psychiatrist, community mental health center, or Department of Psychiatry of a University Hospital for evaluation. In the meantime be supportive and optimistic that things will get better as they probably will, If things should deteriorate and he has intensified thoughts of suicide or a plan then do not wait, but call emergency services so he can be evaluated for hospitalization and stabilization on medication. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
he saids that even if his brother is gay that he will love him and traet him the same. he is more upsett with the fact that he asked himself the question that maybe if his brother is gay he never knew it that maybe he to is gay and that he asked himself that question he is suffering bcus its stuck in his head and its an intruding question every minute of his life he crys to me every moment we start talking about it, i will take him to doctor tomorow but his main concern is will he be the same person that he used to be, he is so scared and quite frankly i am too. he saids he feels like its not him anymore like its someone else and even his eyes look scary, i am so scared for him, could he possibly be going crazy? or is it some kind of brain quimical in balance?

I believe he is have an acute anxiety reaction and although he may require psychotherapy and medication the likelihood is he will return to his former state. The exception to this if there is some serious underlying emotional disorder and there is no way of knowing this without an in depth interview. But do not jump ahead. Allow the interview to take place. I am being candid about the possibility of something more serious so that you have the total picture of possibilities not because that is what I think it is. I assume the doctor he is seeing is a psychiatrist. A family practitioner is not a specialist in this field and will probably refer him to a psychiatrist and I am looking to save the extra expense and time involved.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
ok thank you for your time and oppinion, i will do exactly that. just one last question could it possibly be OCD?

Again it is very difficult to make a diagnostic impression without an in depth interview, but I understand since he is obsessing you might think it was OCD. I am of the opinion it is not as there are other symptoms that are needed to justify an OCD diagnosis. Like I said take it one step at a time and try for him and you not to over react. It is less than 24 hours before you get a professional opinion.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs