Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906

im suffering witha severe anxiety disorder, am still waiting

im suffering witha severe anxiety disorder, am still waiting for my appoint for CBT and to see the pychiatrist, having them in about a month. im taking betablockers and olanzapine, which really don't seem to help anymore. im in a mess and feel ive got no where left to turn. im still at work which is slowly becoming a nightmare and im now scared of losing my job cos i just feel i simply cant do it anymore. has anybody else been throuhg this - did you come out the other end? i feel like ive tried everything and jsut dont know what to do anymore, does anybody have any advice?
thanks
Submitted: 4 years ago via HealthBoards.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 4 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, for anxiety disorder if you are taking olanzapine which is an antipsychotic and betablockers ,then no wonder your anxiety has worsened many a fold . You see olanzapine is used in treating psychotic epsiodes in schizophrenia , bipolar disorder , psychotic depression , and is not used for anxiety disorders , except in case of Obsessive compulsive disorder , where it is given in addition to an anti depressant .

So, my honest advise to you is to come off olanzapine , as it is of no use , if you are having generalizd axiety , in place of it , you should start on a combination of 1 anti depressant such as either paxil cr or prozac or zoloft or effexor xr and 1 anti anxiety drug such as buspar or klonopin or ativan .

This combination of 1 anti depressant and 1anti anxiety drug will be able to control your anxiety and relieve your symptoms , and later on when you get the appointment , you shall start on CBT , along with continuing on these 2 drugs.

Also , you may discuss the use of betablocker with your doctor in your case , now that you will have the right drugs to fight against anxiety , but olanzapine for sure needs to be brought off.

So, kindly discuss this with your doctor and start on the above mentioned 2 drug regime, and i am quite sure that this will relieve your anxiety.

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.

Regards...

Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
thankyou, i have noticed my anxiety has increased since i starting taking the olanzapine, im really not sure wht he put me on it - do you think then it could have made my anxiety worse rather than better?
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
so it really could be the olanzapine that is making my anxiety worse then? i really dont understnad why my docotr put me on it then
I seriously do not know what was your doctor thinking , putting you on olanzapine for treating anxiety , this was uncalled for and kind of an unjustified treatment option , when you have the right set of drugs to control it effectively , as mentioned above .

Kindly show your doctor the below mentioned link , so that he knows , where to use olanzapine ..or shall i say where not to use it..

http://www.zyprexa.com/index.jsp

I hope this helps.. and please come off olanzapine and start on the above mentioned drug regime ,and i am quite sure that you will become much better and relieved of anxiety.

Regards..
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience: MD Psychiatry