Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry
9385906
Mental Health

I am currently taking 60 mg daily of Cymbalta; 30 mg in the

morning and 30 at bedtime... Show More
morning and 30 at bedtime. I'm about to increase to 90 mg per discussion with my doctor who left best time of day to take it up to me. What do you recommend? 90 all at one time or spread it out during the day? Thanks.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Well, i would not suggest 90 mg of cymbalta all at one time , as it is a fairly high dose to be taken at one time , and may cause side effects , so i suggest that you split the dose in such a way that you take 30 mg in morning and 60 mg at night , before bed time ( suggesting 60 mg at night because cymbalta has a sedative action, and thus it aids in sleeping )

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards..

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. Very helpful. With the 60 mg daily dose, 30, mg taken in the morningI'm finding that by late afternoon, I'm feeling more of the effects of depression than earlier in the day. Is it possible that the 30 mg wears off after 8 or 9 hours and would that continue if I take 30 mg in the morning and 60 mg at night?

Well, normally 60 mg dose of cymabalta is prescribed as a single night dose before sleep , and this takes care of the depression throught the next day , while in your case you will not only be taking the night dose of 60 mg , but in addition a morning 30 mg , so the overall effect of cymbalta will be there throught the day , and no it will not wear off after 8 or 9 hours .So, you can start on this split dosage , and i am quite positive that this will not let the depression seep in .

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Regards..

Customer reply replied 7 years ago.

Thank you. I will follow your advice. One last question. I have been taking Cymbalta for a few years trying to find the optimum dose. At first, I started with 60, then 90, then 120, then back to 90, then the current 60. While 120 relieved the depression, I found that I had a lot of nervous twitching and occasional stumbling and tripping. Have you hear of that before?

I think 90 will prove to be the best dose for me.

Well, such nervous twitching , stumbling and tripping due to dizziness , anxiety are the side effects of cymbalta at high doses such as 120 mg / day , on which you were placed back then and you did not tolerate this high dose and hence the side effects were produced , but i believe 90 mg dose suits you the best and so you shall start on it , in the manner explained above.

I hope this helps..

Regards..