Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics

Which therapy is known to be the mos effective to recover from

Which therapy is known to be the mos effective to recover from a gender identity disorder?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Hello Yasuo,

A lot depends on the clinical evaluation. If there is significant distress or obvious impairment in social, occupational, or other important areas of functioning treatment is needed.

Individual and family counseling is recommended for children, and individual or couples therapy is recommended for adults. According to the literature, for Gender Identity disorder no drug treatment has been shown to be effective in reducing cross-gender desires and if the patient gender dysphoria is severe and intractable, sex reassignment may be the solution.

For this the patients need to consult a Psychiatrist and depending on the clinical evaluation he may refer him to a appropriate specialist or start treatment such as Psychotherapy.

If you have any other query, please feel free to ask.

Best wishes
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.

Dear Dr Vikas,

many thanks for your reply and sorry in advance if my English is a bit weird.
(I'm from France.) The question was for me. I'm 32 years old and female.

I'm also suffering from a Borderline personnality disorder. But I think the gender identity trouble may have caused the Borderline disorder. They are related.
I have already been to the psychiatrist but he told me that I need to take a neuroleptic (Abilify - aripiprazole) to help my two parts (male and female) to reunites. I don't think this is a solution.

My wish is to find a way to reunites my two parts with the help an appropriate therapy, not medication. I already did very long classical psychotherapies but none of them helped me for solving this problem in particular. It helped me to understand better the weight of my past and it's consequences on my present. That's all.

I don't think the sex reassignment could be a solution for me. I still feel nearly in-between the two genders. My dream is to get the body from the opposite gender but I also want to keep both gender in me. When I am in a dissociative crisis, I hurt myself. But when I feel better, I also like my body as it is. If only I had enough self-confidence, I could play with cross dressing. But I fear too much what other people may think about me.

I thought the CBT therapy could help me. Maybe also the Erickson hypnosis since it works well for self-confidence. I can't move forward witout a therapy...

Now that you know more about my background, which type of therapy do you think could help me the best?

Many thanks in advance,

Yasuo

Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Hello Yasuo,

First of all please accept my apologies for the delay in replying.

Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is frequently present in patients having gender identity disorder. Distortions in cognition and sense of self is a common feature of BPD which may lead to gender identity problems and also many of your symptoms could be explained by the presence of BPD.

Dialectical Behavioral therapy (DBT) is considered as the first line treatment for BPD and has shown promising results in various studies. CBT appeared to be less successful in BPD although can prove to be an effective treatment if a strong therapeutic relationship can be established between the therapist and the patient which is difficult for patients of BPD.

This is a link to an interesting article and I suggest you to go through it.

Gender Role transition

I hope it helps

Best wishes

Edited by Dr Vikas on 10/6/2009 at 2:58 AM EST
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist