Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

My daughter is taking Venlafaxine and is finding it excellent.

My daughter is taking Venlafaxine and is finding it excellent. I suffer a chronic medium level depression and have been on Prozac, Amitryptiline, and have been taking Mitrazapine for the last year - of limited help to me. I am nervous yet again of suggesting a new medication to my doctor. Do you believe that it is acceptable to ask my doctor to proscribe Venlafaxine for me on the recommendation of my daughter?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
HiCustomer

Sure it's OK for you to suggest a medicine to your doctor. Whenever patients are involved in their treatment enought to discuss it with others, it's seen as a good thing. They can tell you why or why not they think it's a good idea for you (knowing your whole medical situation), and you can talk about it.

It's not your fault that you're having trouble getting stabilized on medication - it happens to many people, and then for some, even when they find a med that works, it only works for a year or two. A good working relationship with your doctor is the best indicator of successful medication treatment. Remember that those of us in the healthcare profession want to help you out - we like to do that. So anything you can bring to the table to work with us is seen as a good thing.

Take care and keep at it till you find the combination that works for you - you're worth the effort.

If I can be of further help, just let me know. Please fill out the little feedback form after accepting - I appreciate it.
Thanks,
Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.