Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
20023641

I have many issues in my life right now. Having D.I.D, parenting

I have many issues in my life right now. Having D.I.D, parenting issues, low self esttem, needing to get healthly and even financial problems. I always try to change my situation but usually fizzle out after two weeks. I don't know how to tackle all the things going on in my life. Now my kids are being affected by my inconsistency. What is the best way to combat all the problems in my life?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  SMnurse replied 5 years ago.
Hello Knana

Thanks you for trusting us with your question.

When you say D.I.D are you speak of
Dissociative identity disorder?
If so are you or have you seen a professional about this?
Any medications?
Have you always had these issues?
How old are you children?
~SM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.

I do have D.I.D and I have just began treatment with a psycologist. I am on zyprexa, ativan and ambien. I was more functional in the trauma than when it was over at age 22. My children are ages 8 and 10. My son is the oldest and he has bi-polar disorder or ADHD which they are unsure of. And my daughter is the youngest and she has low self esteem and anxiety. We are still in contact with my family who has caused much of our pain. I keep them at a distance for the sake of my children.

Expert:  SMnurse replied 5 years ago.
ThanksCustomerbr />In reading your answer, I feel that another expert could better help you with your problems.

~SM
Customer: replied 5 years ago.
ok
Expert:  Anna replied 5 years ago.
Hi knana,

You've already started the most important things: getting medical and psychological help. If you're in the US, most counties have financial counseling for free or a low fee available.

I recommend that you make out a spreadsheet with all the things you need to do everyday and then check them off as you're doing them. You can even do the same with the children. It'll help you during this time of change, and will provide you with the discipline that you're having trouble with.

Put all the things you need to do...even the small ones, like eating and sleeping, taking meds, making your bed, getting the kids ready on time. It's a way to see your success and be motivated to keep at it. Discipline works wonders, and it's a skill that anyone can learn.

Get connected to online support groups and blogs. Share your story with other women. It'll make you feel validated and sane, and let you know you're not alone. Hang in there. Keep doing the next right thing. When the chips are down...go to your list and do something on it. Structure your life so that you'll have direction, and then keep taking your meds and working with your treatment professionals. You can do this, and now you've got the help. Go for it and make a committment to yourself and your kids.

DID support group letter

Support group list

Don't let your trauma define the rest of your life - it's stolen too much already. You can take control, one step at a time. Hang in there- you're worth it!

Anna
Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience: Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.