Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt

i have anxiety attacks 1to2 times a day making it impossible

Customer Question

i have anxiety attacks 1to2 times a day making it impossible to relax, it even has taken away from my family functions. thinking i could handle it by myself(I COULDN T). so i went to the doctor and she gave me samples of abilify, after doing research the side effects are horrible i never took any of the samples. in the reasearch that i did i never read where it was supposed to be taken by itself. i have taken xanax before and had great results after a death in the family(my younger brother) a suicide. i just worry about anything and everything, so why would you suggest something like abilif? AND
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Good Evening,

You are correct from having researched the side effects and use of Abilify. That is a medication usually prescribed in addition with other medications to psychotic features that are at times present in some depressive disorders.

If the medication was prescribed to you by your general practitioner physician, they are not really trained in the treatment of mental health.

There are many other medications like the you one have mentioned although xanax is addicting. Other options out there are Lexapro, Paxil, Zoloft that address anxiety and depressive symptoms. Another medication used that does not fall under the class of psychotropic medications is Inderal (that some individuals get prescribed because of its property to slower heart rate)

Counseling (to address the cause of the anxiety attacks ) can be helpful as well as biofeedback, hypnosis, meditation and relaxation response training/visualization, deep breathing.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
i explained to the doctor that i had already tried zoloft, paxil, effexor, prozac. when i took the xanex it was really low miligram once a day and it seems that it has less side effects than that of it substatutions. i m thinking i may have to go to a different doctor i also have a really high stress job, but like i said i'm not taking the abilify
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.
It is always a good idea to get a second opinion. Job stress can definitely trigger anxiety and other symptoms i.e it can aggravate depressive symptoms and weakens the immune system.
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience: PsyD, LPC, CHt
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
or in my case feel like you are having a heartattack everyday, and i know that's not the way to live. i dunno what i am going to do
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 4 years ago.

Panic attacks feel like heart attacks and losing control. With the right medication and counseling though, anxiety disorders are treated successfully. It would make a whole lot of difference once you find the right doctor and he prescribes a medication that you respond well to.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5276923_use-alternative-approaches-anxiety-depression.html