Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

How do I get over a severe fear of dying and aging I am on

Customer Question

How do I get over a severe fear of dying and aging? I am on prozac, xanax and clonazepam and go to therapy 3 times a week. nothing works or helps. what do I do? thanks.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I was answering your question when a computer glitch caused it to disappear-so I am sorry for the delay. You are obviously sophisticated in medication and psychotherapy. You are taking two SSRI antidepressants which have an anti anxiety effect. Some psychopharmicologists have switched to the newer SRNI anti depressants which also have anti anxiety effects. In addition there are atypical anti depressants like Webutrin, and Geodon which have been used as add ons to increase the positive effect of the medications. Abilify, an anti psychotic has also been used. Further some Psychiatrists have reverted to the older tricyclic antidepressants like amitriptyline, etc. The Xanax and Klonopin are as you know benzodiazapines.

One thing that you have not mentioned is the type of psychotherapy you receive. The type that is most effective with anxiety is called cognitive behavioral therapy (CBT) in which you learn new ways of thinking and behaving and as a result your feelings change. Best wishes and good luck.

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed. If this is a mental health, or medical emergency, please call emergency services (911 in the USA), or go to your nearest Emergency Room. The opinion provided does not replace an evaluation by an appropriate professional.