Dr. Rossi
Dr. Rossi, Psychotherapist
Experience:  PsyD, LPC, CHt
19260254

Hey, Im a 22yr old Male. When Im awake I have a problem

Hey, I'm a 22yr old Male. When I'm awake I have a problem of continually debating issues of self worth and my mental state in general. This seems to get nowhere and generally repeats the seem issues back and forth. This seems to take a lot of mental energy that could be used much more constructively. Because of this or along with this I'm consistently on edge and don't often find a time when I'm not scared/annoyed. I'm not sure what to do, but I'm afraid of wasting my life in one long repeating problem. Any advice would be great, I'm afraid to explain this to anyone I know because it seems so weird.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

Good Evening,

Your concern is valid and not uncommon. The thought process may be anxiety triggered. There also may be underlying depression in regard to self worth issues.

As long as some anxiety level is present, you may have those repetitive thoughts.

The good news is that cognitive behavioral therapy and medication are quite effective in treating both anxiety and depression.

Hypnotherapy is also very effective in treating anxiety and when it comes to self worth issues.

What you are experiencing is not "weird" A fast paced life, societal and work expectations and stressors as well as ones brain chemistry and coping skills in general can lead to someone experiencing these symptoms.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
are there anyways to possibly help improve my situation without going to therapy or with medication? I'm not against therapy, in fact I think it'd be great to talk to someone about it, but I won't be able to afford anything like that.

I know this is obvious, but I don't like being so defensive and snappish. I'm a painter! It's horrible that so much time gets wasted on petty self bickering when I know how wonderful a generative worldview could be. The repetive feeling of it all makes it hard to feel like I'm making any progress at all.
Expert:  Dr. Rossi replied 7 years ago.

If it is brain chemistry related medication will help. A primary doctor can prescribe anti anxiety medications.

You are correct that the repetitive thinking can take away from the quality of life.

If you reside in the US, many of the drug companies now offer assistance with medication fees.

I've included two links below of my articles that cover alternatives to treatment and info on cheaper or free medication.

http://www.ehow.com/how_5276923_use-alternative-approaches-anxiety-depression.html

http://www.ehow.com/how_4970425_medications-cheaper.html