How JustAnswer Works:

  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.

Ask Anna Your Own Question

Anna, Mental Health Professional
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1945
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Anna is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

i need to speak to somebody about fear of being in public places. Basically

Customer Question

i need to speak to somebody about fear of being in public places.
Basically i can't cope very well. I tend to negative self talk, heart races extremely fast, can't look at people in the eye when i am talking to them and get hot, flustered and really bad headaches. i have a paranoya problem and think that everyone is looking at me. I used to be very ambitious and having direction in life now all i think about on a daily basis are petty little problems that are really quite silly. I sit at home everyday and shut myself off from the world. I think i am a freak, I think i am nothing or nobody and i am always trying to prove myself to my family who can't be bothered with me. My family do not see me. My mum and dad are divorced. but thats not really the issue here. I like having 2 families. But regardless of all that i need some serious help to help me get over these paranoya issues that i face everyday.
Submitted: 7 years ago.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hi Ausgirl,

It sounds like you're suffering from Social Anxiety Disorder or Generalized Anxiety Disorder that has some veins of Agoraphobia in it. I'm going to give you some links to learn about these so that you can have a good discussion with your doctor and get proper treatment.

The good news is that many people have recovered fully from what you're talking about, and that very soon you can be back to your old self. You don't want to lose any more time to an anxiety disorder - it doesn't give you anything in return but heartache. At 22 years old, you're at a very important time in your life with career, relationships and education, so even if it's scary to go and talk to your doctor about this, you need to do it as soon as possible so that your life can get back on track. Supportive counseling or Cognitive Behavior Therapy can be of great help in teaching you techniques to work through the negative thoughts.

Social Phobia support groups

Social Phobia/Anxiety support

From these links, you'll get an idea of whats out there for you in the online community, as well as lists of symptoms that you can talk to your doctor about.

Thank you for this opportunity to help you with your question. If I can be of further assistance, please let me know.

Related Mental Health Questions