Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

Hello, A dear friend of mine is taking the following meds.

A dear friend of mine is taking the following meds. Lexapro, Trazodone, Remeron, Abilify, Klonopin, Lunesta, Nexium, plus 2 blood thinners & 2 more pills for his heart.
He has been on Lexapro, Trazodone, and Remeron for almost 5 years. He was treated for depression after heart surgery. 8 weeks ago Abilify was added. He became very ill physically. Vomiting and loss of appetite. He has lost 20 pounds in less than 2 months. He went to the hospital a few days ago because he is loosing weight and can't eat. Nothing was found. He stopped the abilify & the vomiting improved but still no appetite. The Lexapro has turned him into a cold monster. I'm afraid he is going to lose his mind. The mood swings are really bad. He says hateful things & doesn't remember. He has constant racing thoughts and trouble sleeping. He decidedd the drugs are making him crazy & decided to get off but was afraid of withrawal symptoms so he went back to his doctor & she said keep taking everything except abilify. He's isolating himself now and more depressed than ever. He has had a very sore throat for almost 3 years. He was prescribed nexium but it doesn't help. The sore throat has added to his depression & appetite loss. Could the pills be causing the his sore throat. He's turned into somebody else. He could care less about things that used to mean so much to him.

Your friend is on a very extensive medication regimen and it would be inappropriate to comment upon its effectiveness. However that being said tis is the age of consumerism and if he believes that he is being improperly medicated he should seek at minimum a second opinion. Most insurances cover second opinions. He also has the option, if he believes that he is not medicated properly to change doctors. However first he should ask his doctor to explain why he is on each medicine and what he should expect in terms of benefits and side effects. Allow me to add that he is quite correct as it would be terribly dangerous to just discontinue his medications.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could the sore throat be caused from all of the medications? If the Lexapro is making him manic is this good? should he have been put on so many drugs? He had heart surgery & was told that many patients develop depression aftetr surgey, sometimes long after surgey. When he complained about medicications, more were added. How can he find a doctor that will help him to get off the drugs? He lives in Marysville, ohio.

I am not a physician, but I do not think that even a physician can determine the cause of the soar throat without a physical examination including appropriate tests and even then the cause may not be able to be determined.. If Lexapro is making him manic, clearly it is not good for him.. Some reports indicate that Lexapro may cause Mania as a side effect in some individuals. It would seem that the way to tell would be to discontinue Lexapro and if the mania ceased it could then be attributed to the Lexapro. I am unable to provide a specific referral, but if he has insurance their behavioral health department should be able to give him a referral. In addition, he can contact a University hospital with a department of psychiatry and ask for a referral. Lastly he can contact the local community mental health center and ask for a referral.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! He did stop the Lexapro and the mania did stop but he began to cry & didn't know why he was so depressed. He wanted off the Lexapro until the doctor instructed him to stay on it. He didn't mention the mania. He was mainly concerned about the vomiting & no appetite after taking abilify. He still has no appetite & is nauseated easily. They did a biopsy in his throat about a year ago & found nothing.

Hello.

It is absolutely imperative that he tells the physician that he was experiencing manic symptoms while on Lexapro and that they ceased when he discontinued its use. Theare other antidepressants available to deal with the depression that will not result in mania. This seems to be a pretty basic request that he does not wish to experience mania and that he also does not wish to suffer with depression. It may take time to find the correct medication with a minimum of side effects and a significant amount of relief. Your friend is lucky to have such a caring friend. If the doctor is resistant and refuses to change his Lexapro after this new information, then if it were me I would find another doctor. He should also be working on lessening his depression and improving his quality of life!

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Sincewrely,

Customer/p>
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have tried to help him to participate in anything that will get him out of the house or anything to improve his quality of life, but he is paranoid because of the drugs and also physcially ill after the abilify. He seems to be unable to enjoy anything or be happy. I even planned a vacation & he refuses to go. He is getting so paranoid he doesn't trust my opinions anymore, either. He said he trusts his doctor. He knows I would only have his best interst at heart when asked but the paranoia takes over. He had no paranoia before the meds. He seemed happy as well. It really appears to me & his family that the meds have made him depressed, manic, sick & now isolating himself. I thank you for your time & knowledge!! I will try to keep convincing him to get a second opinion & express my feelings about the Lexapro & mania. He will not answer his phone, it has been several days. He lives 3 hours away from me. I drove there & took him to the hospial for his vomiting last week & he became angry after we left the hospital (his mood swings are getting severe) so I left before he became too upset. (I'm afraid of his heart condition) I'm afraid he'll get to a point of no return. Is this possible on these drugs or will he get back to himself once he's off of them?

Hello/

It must be very frustrating to try and help someone and have that help rejected. One thing is abundantly clear and that is arguing will make things work. You may in a calm moment ask if you can speak to his doctors. He may permit it or he become more paranoid in which case you will need to back off. It is possible that he will adjust to the medication, but it would be best if you could explain your perception to the doctors.. Is he conmsidered competent, and if not who is hjis medical designee to make decisions if he is incapable of doing so. It may be necessary to consult with an eldercare attorneyt for legal advice as I have a feeling it may go in that direction despite how kind and gentle you are. Try again to get the doctors to hear what you have to say and do it in a non threatening factual reporting manner. Good luck and best wishes.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you. I drove to his house saturday because I was concerned about not being able to reach him. He was exremely manic. I was afraid to leave because I didn't want him to feel abandoned, but I was terified to be there. I was not allowed to speak or he became enraged. By sunday morning he had calmed some, but was very aggetated & I didn't speak much. Just wanted him to know I was there to help. He did say he told his dr. that I had noticed mood swings and mania shortly after taking his Lexapro. He said she said "who's she-is she a doctor?" he said he thought she was arrogent to say that. I felt it was careless. Isn't she suppose to be looking for signs from family & loved ones? He's getting more depressed because he feels he's loosing his mind. I've know him for decades. I lknow his past. I believe his anger stems from physical & emotional abuse from his parents that's never really been dealt with. After his heart problems he was introduced to all of the drugs I mentioned he is on. Not only is he not better, he seems psychotic. He's always had anger issues but nothing like this. He was very carring & loving -he's became a cold monster. I strongly believe it is the drugs. DO you do phone consultations?
Thank you!!
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
He is not concidered incompetant.
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Could any of this be from a hormonal imbalance?

I do not know what happened to the answer I sent you as it disappeared, but I will repeat it. If your friend is manic and paranoid and cannot care for himself or any of these three things then he is a danger to self or others due to impaired judgment. I would suggest that you offer to take him to see his doctor to help him to feel better, but be careful and back off if he is resistant. Competency changes from moment to moment and if he is manic, and paranoid to the extent that he is a danger to self or others then he is probably not competent, If this is the situation, i would notify emergency services and have them evaluate him on the spot for possible hospitalization. I would be sure to tell them of his psychiatric history and regimen of medication. Some time unfortunately the situation has to get worse before assistance is rendered. He is fortunate have a caring and concerned friend as yourself even though he may not realize it. With respect to consultations, Justanswer does not permit such work to be performed by its experts. So I am sorry I cannot help you there. If you require further information, do not hesitate to write. Best wishes and good luck.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
could I give my friend your email address?

He can post a request at http://www.justanswer.com/ and ask in his question thatCustomeranswers it.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Thank you! I added a small bonus, I wish I had more. Just having someone with your knowledge that understands is a blessing at this point! You've helped with MY anxiety!

Your generosity is most appreciated.

Sincerely,

Customer/p>