Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

this person daydreams or is in their own mind and is not

this person daydreams or is "in their own mind" and is not aware oe what is going on around them. THey are not taking care oe the day to day things, such as, taking medicine, going to work, sometimes taking care oe their child (ie, brushing teeth, giving baths, putting on clean clothes. This person also has sleep apnea.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

Lack of sleep, especially dream sleep can have serious consequences including dysfunction and even psychosis. You describe a very serious situation when you suggest that sometimes there is neglect in taking care of a child. This is a very dangerous situation when a child lacks proper adult supervision. I cannot tell you what to do, but morally, there is a responsibility to report this situation to the child welfare authorities. You can get the number to call the protective services from the National Child Abuse Hot line, see: , or you can call information for you state protective agency service. If you wish you can do it anonymously. Please follow up on this before something tragic occurs. Now that I have addressed the most serious situation. The individual needs a thorough psychiatric evaluation as the deteriorating symptoms you describe maybe indicative of a serious mental illness which requires immediate treatment.

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 10/3/2009 at 1:35 AM EST
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
What mental illness are you thinking?

It is very difficult to say without a great deal more information. But if I were forced to guess i would guess as either severe depression , psychosis nos (not otherwise specified) or schizophrenia. Again there is little validity in this diagnopstic impression due to a severe lack of information. Allow me to stress the need to preserve the safety of the child if it is neglected.

Ralph LMHC