Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have a big problem for sleeping I consulted many doctors

I have a big problem for sleeping I consulted many doctors and took different medication for anxiety and depression. Now I am taking two tablet of TRYPTIZOL 25 mg and 1.5 tablet of Aprazolam (1 mg) at night.
I still not feeling good specially after 5:00 pm. Please advice?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I am not a physician, but am quite familiar with psychotropic medication. The Tryptizol is an older tricyclic antidepressant with sedating qualities and the Aprazolam is a benzodiazapine which is also sedating. However it's sedating qualities tend to lessen with time. I am wondering why you are not being prescribed medication specifically for sleep. In the class, Restoril is indicated for sleep, and in the antidepressant class Trazadone is commonly used because of it's sedating effect. There are also 3 other drugs that are specifically indicated for sleep. They are: Ambien, Lunestra and Sonata. Some people use the over the counter product Melonin to induce sleep. I would suggest that you discuss these other options with your prescribing doctor. So to recap ask why he is not prescribing either a benzodiazpine specific for sleep-Restoril; Or a commonly used antidepressant that is sedating-Trazadone; Or one of the three specifics for sleep-Ambien, Lunestra, or Sonata. Lastly ask him his thoughts on the use of Melonin. The medicines that you take should not make you "not feeling good".

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.