How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Kelley Your Own Question
Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Category: Mental Health
Satisfied Customers: 1018
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW
Type Your Mental Health Question Here...
Kelley is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

They are tring to steal my achievements and portray it as their

This answer was rated:

They are tring to steal my achievements and portray it as their own kids achievements. They did the same with me and my sisters, while growing up. He would verbally abuse us and my Mom and Dad were never able to protect us from their verbal abuse. I do not want to put my kids through it and do no want to go throught it myself anymore. But since, he is one of my closest relatives, I can't completely rule him out. How do I let my other relatives know, about him and him abuse. and how do I protect myself and my kids from him.



Thanks for using JustAnswer!


I am sorry that you suffered this abuse as a child. No child deserved that. You are in charge now and are the adult that has to protect your children. You do not have to put up with abuse, relative or not. If he does not stop then I would distance yourself from him the best you can. Do not let him control your life anymore.


I would suggest you see a therapist to help you work through this difficult time in your life. They will help you deal with what happened as a child and will help you learn to set your boundaries with him and your family.


I hope this helps. Please let me know if I can assist anymore. I am here to help.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
Any suggestions on how to set up my boundaries with him
I would talk to him and let him know that if he begins to verbally abuse you or your children you will walk out and then when he does follow through with what you say. You can not change anyone else no matter how hard you wish they would change, you can only change yourself and protect yourself and your children. If he continues to be verbally abuse then I would suggest distancing yourself from him as much as possible.
Kelley and other Mental Health Specialists are ready to help you
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
How do I avoid him from approaching my kids around my other relatives, to protect them from any emotional damage that he might cause. He has a tendency of bringing down people's spirit.