Anna, Mental Health Professional
Experience:  Licensed Clinical Social Worker with 29 years in addictions and mental health.

hi i am looking for some explanation in what is goin on in

Customer Question

hi i am looking for some explanation in what is goin on in my brain at the moment. 4 years ago i suffered with bad panic attaks after haveing my first child and was scared of dieing and always scared about my health.but kind of learnt to cope with the attaks to a certain exstent. these past couple of months i keep thinking ive got schizophrenia or going to get it scared of doing something stupid and people thinking im wierd. im also really afraid i will not see my kids growing up cause i will get put in a mental hospital or something . and think i might start hearing voices and seeing things. please help this isnt normal its affecting my life and im scared of loseing my family cause of this is there something wrong with me
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nicky,

Many people, mothers included have schizophrenia and do not lose their families or children. There are many treatments available and more research is done on it all the time. Hearing voices and seeing things are often signs of schizophrenia, but it can also be other things going wrong with your body medically. The safest and smartest thing for you to do is to seek consultation with a doctor who can do a full examination of you and begin the diagnostic and treatment process.
Caring for your family is a honorable value - so is caring for yourself so that you're the best you can be for them. You're suffering right now from these fears, and that will change the relationship you have with your family members. Getting treatment will set you free to be with them, not take you away.

Thanks for the opportunity to answer your question today. I hope you get help soon - you deserve to feel free and happy and to enjoy your life, not be worried and anxious.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i have been to the doctor many of times belive me i never get any ansers im on escitilopram at the moment . i asked why i might be haveing these thoughts all the time and if it sounds like i could have it or is it just anxiety
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Hi Nicky,

The voices and seeing things won't come from anxiety - that is a psychotic process. What do the doctors tell you?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
no i didnt say i hear voices or see things im scared that i will start to and sometime in my head to myself i start to talk to myself and pretend that i must be going mad . its like i go threw phases wen i get something in my head and look up on the internet about all these things like schizophrina and bipolar and all different things i belive i have them. like 2 monthes ago i was going threw a phase were i thought i had bipolar now i think i have schizophrinia and scared of haveing it cause i will be classed as a wierdo thanx nicola
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
Do you think you're suffering from hypochondria?
Customer: replied 7 years ago.
im not sure what that is . do u think its schizophrina . with what i have told u
Expert:  Anna replied 7 years ago.
I can't tell from from what you've told me, so you haven't told me anything that screams schizophrenia to me. Here are some links for you to check out the symptoms on. I'll be back in a couple hours - let me know how you make out on testing yourself to the sympXXXXX XXXXXsts.