Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

have a great relashionship but am pushing away. Feeling confused,depressed,

have a great relashionship but am pushing away. Feeling confused,depressed, not sure who I am or where I am going.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

I understand that you have a good relation. Were you feeling confused and depressed before the relationship progressed, Do you have any history of emotional problems? Are you ambivalent about the relationship? Have there been any major changes that have occurred recently? Additionally can you tell me about your significant other and how you get along?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 10/2/2009 at 4:54 AM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
no major changes, was just out of a bad relationship before this. Everything was great and when I started to think of this as the one, I realized I don't know where my career is going, is there I want to be(family is up north), and have not felt happy. Not sleeping well for a while and just want to be sinlge.

If you just want to be single what is forcing you to pursue this relation? It sounds that you are quite confused. I would therefore recommend you think about putting things on hold and start psychotherapy so you better understand what you want. You may wish to also have couples counseling to see if you can get what you wish from this relation. You also sound depressed and for this both antidepressant medication and psychotherapy combined has proved effective. So to recap you need a psychiatric evaluation and and you need to begin a course of psychotherapy. Best wishes and Good Luck.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
If it is depression is, it something I can work on with him or do I need to do this myself then see if there is anything left?

I believe that it is necessary to work on yourself to lift the depression and then to determine what it is that you want. Once you have accomplished that you can engage in couples therapy to see if he is the one who is capable of giving you what you wish. The relation should be based on wants and needs not dependency.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs