Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

I have a 96 yr old uncle thats in hospic va hospital. They

I have a 96 yr old uncle that's in hospic va hospital. They had him on "Riseridone 1/2 mg. They took him off (claim he's agiated @ night), and put him on Haldol. I don't like how he's been acting on it. Should he be on it in you opinion>
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I am not a physician but am familiar with psychtropic medication. Haldol either by mouth or injection is an anti psychotic drug. It is often used and so indicated for agitation in elderly. However you mention that he is in a hospice and the intention of a hospice is to make one's passing as gentle and comfortable as possible. Therefore, I would speak to the doctor and share your concerns that they are not accomplishing their goal as the haldol is not making him as comfortable as possible. You need to be assertive and only accept reasonable answers not physician "mumbo jumbo". Stress their job is to make it easier for him and not vice versa. There may be no other choice, but it should be explained to you in terms that are understandable and makes sense!

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.