Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs
11044513

I have been taking 5mg of Lexapro for 3 weeks now for post

I have been taking 5mg of Lexapro for 3 weeks now for post partum depression. Today I have an awful headache and am wondering if it is OK to take tylenol? I know Lexapro has several drug interaction warnings and I just want to be careful. Also can you tell me what other common drugs are bad to take with Lexapro? Also, what about xanax? And can I ever have a glass of wine again? thank you so much!
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 7 years ago.

I am not a physician, but am quite familiar with psychotropic medications.

Lexapro is SSRI anti-depressant drug. It is suggested that acetaminophen be avoided and an alternative used while taking Lexapro. Other medications include NSAIDs like Ibuprofen as well as Aspirin are to be avoided. See: https://online.epocrates.com/ for a complete list of drugs not be taken and drugs to be avoided. Lexapro and Xanax are often used in combination, but it must be noted that taking both together increases the risk of side effects. As far as Xanax and wine. Xanax is a benzodiazapine which is a central nervous system depressant which potentiates the Xanax and vice versa. Labels are placed on Xanax bottles saying alcohol should not be used while taking this drug. Of course the final word is your prescribing doctor and you may also use your pharmacist as a resource.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.

If I can't take tylenol and I can't take advil...what is an alternative?

I am not a physician or pharmacist so I cannot recommend medication. However, I said it should be avoided, not that it cannot be taken-there is a major difference. What you require is called a risk benefit analysis where the doctor tells you the potential risks and the possible benefits and the you make an informed decision. Again you can also call your pharmicist for his/her recommendation.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC