Ralph LMHC
Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience:  20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs

Hi My wife has difficulty dealing with reality and has to often

Hi My wife has difficulty dealing with reality and has to often scream and shout to have her way. She lives in a family environment and sometimes exhibits extreme behaviour how can I get her to visit a doctor, we have been married 20 years and I have noticed when she has taken alchol she becomes quickly depressed but more vocal, can you help
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Ralph LMHC replied 4 years ago.

Your wife my be suffering from a number of emotional ailmenst including depression and anxiety. People use alcohol to self medicate, but it results in making things worse. Also is she experiencing hormonal changes?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Edited by Ralph LMHC on 10/1/2009 at 9:26 PM EST
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
About ten years ago she had breast cancer and had a lumpectomy, she was on Tomoxifen for 5 years she is now sixty, it is like she is locked in the menapause!

I guess my question crossed your answer. What makes you think she is psychotic? Is she hallucinating, or delusional, and is she a danger to self or others, and is she able to care for herself. Is the gynocologist aware of the emotional difficulties?

Sincerely,

Ralpg LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She is not self harming but will carry out bizarre and strange acts which upset those around her. She is not Hallucinating but is delusional. She able to care for herself, her gynocologist is not aware of her emotional difficulties, because she believes she has none.

Could you describe the bizarre, strange behavior. What type of delusions soes she have?

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
She will suddenly become very aggressive for a very minor cristisim both to myself and our kids 19 and 20. She thinks we play games with her - we don't, we are just sad and almost scared of her.

I had asked if she was a danger. If she becomes very aggressive, then by definition she is a danger. It is imperative that she receive a psychiatric evaluation and or an alcohol treatment evaluation as tragic things occur when people become aggressive. Were she to hurt anyone, it may be considered domestic violence which could result in incarceration. . During a calm time explain your love and concern and indicate that you understand that she is undergoing a great deal of psychic pain. Make an appointment with a psychiatrist or the community mental health center. If she is under treatment and she becomes aggressive (it may become necessary to call the police) there is a chance that they will take her for psychiatric evaluation rather than arrest her. It is necessary to take action as she may need medication to stabilize her as these things tend to get worse not better with time. I know what I am suggesting is not easy, but the alternative is considerably worse and in the meantime she is suffering, (as is the family as well).

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Please click green "ACCEPT" button on this page if you are satisfied with my answer so that I get credit for my work. Your positive feedback and bonuses are always welcomed.

Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I hear what you say the difficulty will be getting her to a doctor - but thanks, XXXXX XXXXX sure how to proceed from here but will bear in mind what you say.

It is unfortunate, but sometimes it is necessary for things to get wores, before they get better. Therefore it may be necessary to call emergency services while she is aggressive if she refuse to go to see a psychiatrist during a calmer time.

Sincerely,

Ralph LMHC

Ralph LMHC, Therapist
Experience: 20+ years as therapist, supervisor, clinic director at mental health, substance abuse treatment ctrs