Kelley, Licensed Clinical Social Worker
Experience:  BSW, MSW, LCSW

I am taking care of my nieces 19 month old. She passed in February.

Customer Question

I am taking care of my nieces 19 month old. She passed in February. I was told that she did drugs during her pregnancy. The 19 month old squeals out of the blue for no reason. And then there are times he screams when he's made or he'll squeal when he's excited. Is this for attention? And what should I do?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Kelley replied 7 years ago.

Thanks for using JustAnswer!

This sounds like very typical 19 month behavior. They are trying to learn their boundaries and explore their world. I would suggest you learn as much as you can about dealing with toddlers. There is a lot of information on the internet about age appropriate behaivor and how to deal with it. It is really important for you to decide your boundaires in regards XXXXX XXXXX you will accept from him and what you won't and then decide the punishment which sound like your best choice is the time outs (but they are only to be as long as the age so about 1 1/2 minutes for him). If his behaivor continues even after you set boundaries for him then talk to his pediatrician who can guide you in the right direction.

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
I have been putting him in his crib till he stops screaming. That is way longer than 1-2 minutes. It is not working. But I am looking for him a pediatrician down here. Thanks for your help.