Dr. Keane
Dr. Keane, Therapist
Experience:  Clinical Psychology PhD, Licensed Professional Counselor with experience in marriage/family, teens and child psychology.

Are there any natural cures for social anxiety

Are there any natural cures for social anxiety?
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Keane replied 7 years ago.
Hi and welcome to Just Answer,

In regards XXXXX XXXXX anxiety there are many alternative therapies. If you are looking for help that doesn't involve medication here are a few suggestions...
Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is used to treat a variety of disorders, social anxiety being one. CBT is a form of therapy that teaches you to look at your problem and use a variety of different approaches to change the way you view and react to, in this case, your social anxiety. Psychologists and other mental health therapists who are trained in this therapy would be very beneficial to seek out.
I also have recommended to patients who have this disorder to take an acting class, or an inprov class. Putting on another persona the way ones must in an acting class is a great way to get over the social anxieties a person has, or at the very least help minimize the anxiety. Improv is great in that you have no idea what you are going to say and I can tell you once you find yourself laughing at something someone else or you have said, the anxiety disappears.
Think of it this way. Example: You cannot bring yourself to go into a crowed party. You begin to tell yourself that you don't know anyone, you wont' have fun, people are staring at you because you are .....(fill in the blank)....both of these suggestions help the person get over the anxiety in two very specific ways, but from a different point of view. You take what you have learned and apply it in the situation. The biggest hurdle in doing this "therapy" is starting a class.
As far as a natural cure, learning how to mange and deal with the anxiety can help. I know there are some herbs to help calm a person but if you use the "tools" that CBT offers or use the skills of acting you can overcome your fear.
I hope this helps.
Dr. Keane
Please click ACCEPT and leave FEEDBACK when you are satisfied.