Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

I have epilepsy and bipolar and need I have taken welbutrin

Customer Question

I have epilepsy and bipolar and need I have taken welbutrin on numerous occasions and has never caused fits. I feel that it calms me down which I am desperately needing in conjuction with an anti-depressant. People cannot confront me and they are scared of my reaction as I jump down their throats. My epilepsy is 100% under control and I have not had a fit in 2 years - is it safe to take welbutrin as I feel I really really need it desperately.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
HelloCustomer

Wellbutrin (Bupropion) lowers the seizures threshold and is contraindicated in patients of seizure disorders.

Bupropion lowers seizure threshold so is contraindicated in predisposed patients

I understand your point that you may have taken this drug and never had fits as according to one review study "The observed incidence of seizures with bupropion doses of 450 mg/day or less ranged from 0.35%-0.44%, depending on the method of calculation. The cumulative 2-year risk of seizures in patients receiving the maximum recommended dose of 450 mg/day or less was 0.48%."

Seizures and bupropion: a review

But as you can see from the link at the top, this drug is contraindicated in patients having seizures disorder I guess it would be really very tough for any doctor to prescribe you this medicine.

As an alternative you may discuss with your treating doctor regarding the use of Lamotrigine in your case which is itself an anti epileptic drug and is also a first line drug for treatment of Bipolar depression.

Lamotrigine for treatment of bipolar depression

I hope it helps

Regards

Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
I have a major issue with weight gain which is why i will only take 1 type (geodon) for bipolar as the others make you put on weight and only certain anti-depressants which dont make you put on weight. I am in a lose lose situation and no-one is prepared to help me
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.

Well, with Lamotrigine also weight gain is unusual so it would be good option and you should discuss about it with your treating doctor.

As evident from what you have written it appears to me that you are very well coping with your illness and are showing a great fighting spirit so you should not loose hope.

I wish you a very early and speedy recovery.

Best wishes