Dr. Kaushik
Dr. Kaushik, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MD Psychiatry

i take xanax xr, and on rare occasions i may have a minor memory

i take xanax xr, and on rare occasions i may have a minor memory lapse. i have read about all the side effects, and sure enough memory impairment is on the list. what i really would like to know is, is this something that has permanant long-term effects on the brain? could it trigger dementia or alzheimer's? i am happy with the results i am experiencing with this drug but this issue is causing me anxiety, ironic because i take it to reduce anxiety.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Kaushik replied 7 years ago.

Hi there ,

Welcome to Just answer !

Can you please mention your condition for which you are placed on xanax xr ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
extreme anxiety as a result of irrational thoughts stemming from severe ocd.

well is xanax xr the only drug that you are taking or there are other drugs as well for your ocd , if yes kindly mention them ?

since how long ( duration ) are you taking xanax xr ?

Customer: replied 7 years ago.
i don't understand why those questions are relevant. either this drug is linked to permanant memory loss(dementia, alzheimer's), or it isn't. other drugs mirtazapine, cymbalta. duration: months

Ok , thanks for the reply..

Well, the reason i asked you the above two questions because , first of all xanax xr is a benzodiazepine , which like any other benzodiazepine is to be taken for a short duration , only , such as a few months , the reason being it can cause central nervous system side effects such as memory impairment ( which you are already experiencing ) , impaied balance , central nervous system depression , etc , so , i just wanted to know , that if you have been on this drug for too a long a duration , the quite naturalyl it will be having its side effects such as memory impairment .

Secondly you are taking this xanax xr with 2 anti depressants such as mirtazapine and cymbalta for ocd , which itself is a type of anxiety disorder , so one needs to know , if there are any adverse drug interactions taking place , which may be worsening the clinical picture , hence the question was asked .

Now coming to your question , the answer is NO , xanax xr does not cause dementia/ alzheimer's , nothing of such sort has been documented , but yes it may lead to memory impairment as a side efect , which is reversible , once the drug is withdrawn after using for a short period .

I hope this helps..

I wish you all the best..

Please press the ACCEPT button if you are satisfied with the answer as only then will i be credited for my service.