Dr. Vikas
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience:  MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
4079050

Im not even sure if this is the site I should be asking this

Customer Question

I'm not even sure if this is the site I should be asking this on, but yeah.
I've recently found out that I have a bad case of anxiety, I guess it didn't really start getting to me bad until I got my first job not long ago. At some points my heart starts pounding and racing and I feel like I'm going to have a heart attack and I just have to get away from everyone. I have a hard time calling people and talking with them on the phone, such as calling in a pizza (which seems like a simple thing to do, but it's really hard for me to do). This is really interfering with my job, and I hate the feeling of overly worrying about stuff all the time. My mom refuses to take me to a doctor, instead she tries homeopathic remedies that don't help, one of them even made me sleep for about 12 hours straight. What do you suppose I should do? I really want to visit a doctor, but I have the slightest idea on how to do that. I'm 18 years of age.
Category: Mental Health
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Hello

The problem which you are suffering could be Panic attacks. These symptoms are characteristically seen in Panic attacks such as rapid heartbeat, sweating, shaking, felling of choking , difficulty in breathing, chest pain or discomfort, fear of dying or losing control etc.

You can find more information below in these links.

Panic attack

Symptoms

There is effective treatment available for it and you need to consult a Psychiatrist near you. Treatment options could be medicines or Psychotherapy depending on your preference.

Please feel free to ask any related query you have.

Best wishes
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
So I look up some Psychiatrists, then what do I do? Just go to the location of their business? What do I do when I get there? Can I set up an appointment in the office or something? I have no experience in this field with setting up appointments with doctors and such, seeing how I just turned 18 a few months ago.
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
Well, first you find a psychiatrist near you, which you can easily do by searching on google for psychiatrist in your area. After this you need to contact them via visiting their office or on telephone / email and fix a consultation.You can always take the help of your older relatives or friends regarding this.

During consultation,your psychiatrist / GP will ask for your symptoms, medical history will do a mental status evaluation ( will ask some questions) and will treat you accordingly.

If you want to know in more detail, you can find it in this link below.

Psychiatric Evaluation

Try to involve your mother in this process by explaining her what I have told you and I am sure she will understand your problem.

Edited by Dr Vikas on 10/1/2009 at 10:08 AM EST
Dr. Vikas, Psychiatrist
Experience: MBBS ; M.D Psychiatry, MS. Health Informatics
Customer: replied 4 years ago.
Well thank you very much! Hopefully I can get up enough courage to do this...
Expert:  Dr. Vikas replied 4 years ago.
You are most welcome. I know you can do that very easily.

I wish you a very early and speedy recovery.

Best wishes